The creation of NCR Country Club was conceived and developed by Stanley Allyn during his tenure as president of National Cash Register Corporation.
Allyn, a golf enthusiast and a member of the PGA’s Advisory Committee (Chairman of the 27th PGA Championship when held at neighboring Moraine Country Club in 1945), wanted NCR Country Club to be a world-class facility for National Cash Register Corporation employees. Mr. Allyn’s goal was to follow and improve upon the lead established by John H. Patterson, founder of NCR Corporation and a firm believer that a company should provide recreational facilities and programs for its employees. With the first of the company’s golf courses being built in 1914, the game of golf was enthusiastically accepted by the NCR Corporation employees. In 1918, the course and park area were deeded to the city of Dayton for the enjoyment of all its citizens and is now known as Community Golf Club.
The present NCR Country Club opened in 1954, with a charming colonial ranch-style clubhouse and two distinctively different 18-hole courses, the South and the North, both designed by Dick Wilson, the famous golf course architect from Delray Beach, Florida. Mr. Allyn’s concept for the current NCR Country Club specified that it should offer the finest in all categories of service for the National Cash Register Corporation employees. His goal was achieved when the company gave the courses and clubhouse to the employees of NCR Corporation; the 350 spectacular acres cradling these facilities are now owned by the NCR Employees Benefit Association.
From the beginning, NCR Country Club’s two courses presented a contrast in geography and a true test to even the professional golfer. The South course is now world renowned and has achieved status on the Golfweek list of the Top 100 classically designed courses in America. At 7,018yards and par 71, the course features a challenging design of heavily-wooded rolling countryside full of doglegs, bunkers and thick rough. The South has been host to the 51st PGA Championship in 1969, won by Raymond Floyd, the 41st U.S. Women’s Open in 1986, won by Jane Geddes, the 1998 U. S. Mid-Amateur Championship, won by Spider Miller and the 2005 U.S. Senior Open Championship, won by Alan Doyle, and most recen5tly hosted the 2013 USGA Women's State Team Championship. Providing contrast and variety, the North Course is a prairie-links style which provides a very different test of skills to attain a par score of 70 on its demanding 6,828 yards. Finesse and ‘shot management’ are most important on both expertly manicured courses.
To complement the links, NCR Country Club has created extensive practice facilities, which includes a driving range (with numerous targets), putting greens and chipping areas. In April 2016, the Club opened a state of the art short game practice area designed by Hurdzan Design. This one-of-a-kind facility in the Miami Valley was built on six acres of undeveloped land. It contains five greens, fairway and rough turfgrass areas, as well as several bunkers. This offers players the opportunity to practice short iron shots up to 125 yards, pitching and chipping around several target greens, as well as bunker shots of various lengths.
The current 40,000 square-foot clubhouse opened in June of 1994, on the exact location as the previous facility, in order to maintain the panoramic views overlooking the finishing holes of both courses. Dining opportunities can be formal, casual or weather permitting, al fresco. For larger personal and business events, a full-service banquet and conference facility is also available.
In 2001, NCR Country Club expanded its amenities to include a 4,000 square-foot Pool and Fitness Complex, featuring an Olympic size pool with a casual dining area and a fitness facility with a complete selection of cardiovascular and weight machinery.
With over 60 years of history, the Club has firmly maintained its position as the prestigious regional leader in the golf community. Each year, the club hosts numerous events benefiting local charities and NCR Country Club continues to provide the setting for the State of Ohio’s annual Junior World Qualifying Tournament, the final which is held at Torrey Pines Golf Club. The Club takes great pride in creating an enjoyable and pleasurable atmosphere for its members, their families and invited guests by maintaining a traditionally gracious and congenial atmosphere.